21 October 2012

Matched by Ally Condie = fantastic (massive spoilers for this book and some for other popular YA novels)

I just finished reading Matched by Ally Condie and absolutely loved it. The plot didn’t seem to progress much while I was reading it but after finishing it and taking a step back I can see the plot amidst the character development and interaction.

Spoilers for Matched, and I guess really general spoilers for Twilight, Harry Potter and The Hunger Games (who ends up with whom) abound. Also, there’s a brief mention of a Harry Potter shipping that often irritates people who love the epilogue. Be warned.

It’s almost midnight and I have to go to bed, but I just wanted to address the love triangle. It was really well done. I initially used the phrase ‘romance triangle’ throughout this but, given the fact that she does love one of the guys and at least believes that she is in love with the other, it qualifies as being genuinely based on love. 

A lot of books try to set up a triangle but the romantic interests are either idealised or it’s obvious what the protagonist’s eventual choice will be. Twilight? Reading it, it was obvious that Bella was set on Edward and would never change her mind. Harry Potter? I’m a major Harmione shipper but from book three or four onwards it was clear where it was going. (It doesn’t really count as a romance triangle, but I don’t care) The Hunger Games? Okay, there was a possibility that Katniss would choose Gale, but after sharing the games with Peeta, and thus the readers knowing his character so much more than we know Gale’s, the chances were that she was going to stay with Peeta.

The great thing about the love triangle in Matched was that the guys weren’t perfect but you could see why she could choose either one of them. It took me a while to start to particularly like Ky, and I’m still rooting for Xander because his character fascinates me and I think that I would have definitely chosen him had I been Cassia, but they are both great guys and you can see why she feels connected to both of them. Who wouldn’t feel lucky, despite the feeling of missing out on the experience of meeting your Match the traditional way, if the person that you were going to spend the rest of your life with was your best friend instead of a complete stranger? Who wouldn’t feel connection to the boy that taught you to write and opened a new world to you, even if you weren’t in love with him like Cassia grew to be? Even though it seems certain that she and Ky are endgame and I can’t see her ending up with Xander after it’s been established that she loves Xander but is in love with Ky, it was nice that she said how looking for Ky and seeking to override the system doesn’t mean that she’s definitively choosing Ky; she’s choosing having the possibility of choosing either way. And the theme of freedom and choice is part of what makes the book beautiful and what makes the love triangle so lovely. It’s not just an element thrown in there for drama or to add another element or to appeal to more readers or to entice girls wanting someone to fangirl over. The reason that the book seemed to focus so much on character interactions and not on plot is that the character interactions are fundamental to the plot. Without all of the scenes between Cassia and Ky, Cassia wouldn’t have grown to care about someone in the situation that he is in and would never have understood what her grandfather meant by “do not go gentle”. Without the realisation that she was falling for the great guy that she wasn’t allowed to be with instead of the great guy that she was supposed to be with, Cassia never would have questioned why they never get a choice, never would have found out about the poison and the war, and never would have realised the necessity of action.

I'm really looking forward to reading the next book in this series and am rather curious about the time that Xander remembers people taking the red pill and why the red pills don't work on Xander and Ky.

No comments:

Post a Comment